The whole boat is old. If new is the criterion for peace of mind, then you need
a new boat. Not leaking and you are not departing on a world trip, then I
wouldn't worry about it. If a leak ever develops it is unlikely to start out
big and it won't stop you from getting home.
What can suddenly stop you is guk in the bottom of the tank getting sucked up
in rough weather. Water in the fuel can cause that in a relatively short time.
The hole for the fuel sender is big enough to take a look inside. Guk is a
bigger problem down south, and a lot of people install dual filter systems as a
precaution. One clogs, switch to the other. Also, a screen at the end of the
pick up tube is likely to clog if guk in the tank gets shook loose by rough
weather. It is not just a southern problem. It happened to a friend of mine who
was heading south from Chester NS. Had to get towed into Liverpool. Couldn't
sail it in the prevailing weather. Better to get rid of the screen and rely on
the primary filter. Your choice what to worry about and where to spend your
time and money. Same caveat on free advice applies.

Steve.

---- robert via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
For $200, I would simply forget putting the old tank back in even after
a good inspection.....just the peace of mind is worth $200....plus my
labor which can be obtained for adequate amounts of beer.

Now, can I buy a new fuel tank locally or do I have to order from afar?

Rob Abbott
AZURA
C&C 32 - 84
Halifax, N.S.