Awlgrip is the original paint which is beautiful because it has a color and
clear coat in the same application.  The color settles and the clear comes
to the surface.  This makes for the brilliant, long lasting shine.  The
problem comes when repairs are required.  In order to repair a damaged area
the border between old and nem needs to be feathered in.  This creates a
halo around the damaged area and is caused by the separate layers of clear
and color.  The company insists that only their soap is formulated to
prevent damaging the finish.  They also insist that any amount of
polishing/buffing/sanding/or waxing will cause damage to the paint,
subsequently hold dirt and look dull.

Awlgrip has come out with a newer product called Awlgrip 2000 and it
doesn't have the separate clear and color parts.  It isn't quite as
beautiful when new but it is easier to repair.  I'm not sure about
polishing.

There is a second company which was recommended to me by a boat yard called
Alex Seal.  They said that it looks and works almost exactly like Awlgrip
2000 but is cheaper.  They pointed to what looked like a new travel lift
and said they had rebuilt it 5 years ago and that it was a 20 year old lift.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD