Ouch! 1000 Bucks is steep. The Kubota alternative sounds a lot better.

I'm not much of a believer in the bigger wire. If it was big enough when
designed 30 + years ago, it's still big enough. Perhaps a bigger wire would
bandaid the symptom for a while.

It can be any number of things:

-The switch, on a Yanmar there's no relay (bad) so the brunt of the current
goes through the post button thingie. I replaced mine last year when it
started doing it occasionally. It's seemed to put a bandaid on it for a
while. Not sure how it's done on a Universal

-The connections to the starter or switch. Mine were clean and tight. (And
new on the switch side)

- The solenoid
- The brushes
- The winding

For me it started doing it very infrequently last year and got
progressively worse this year.

What sealed the deal for me was the prior weekend. It usually took 2 pushes
when cold at the beginning of the weekend then got better. On that weekend
it started right up when cold and took 3 pushes (one more than usual) after
sailing for a few hours.

At that point I knew that

 1)  A no go situation was probably pretty close around the corner
2) The completely random nature of the failure meant that the winding was
more than likely the culprit as where it happens to stop on the commutator
determines your faith.

I also knew that at most I would pay 265 bucks for an equivalent Hitachi
unit on eBay so there was no use in fooling with brushes or solenoids on a
27 year old starter, the bearings / winding could not be much further
behind if the problem was the solenoid or brushes..

And yes, now it starts right up at the smallest tickle of the start button.

I hope this helps..

Good luck,

François