I used to ride to meetings with an older (then!) fellow who was involved in
maintenance for a large long-haul freight trucking company. They followed a
simple formula that they probably learned from experience about the diesel
engines on their trucks--they probably had several hundred, maybe even +1000.

Run it until it had 400,000 miles on it and pull it out of service.

Rebuild engine, run it for 400,000 miles and then trash the truck and engine.

Then repeat process with new truck/engine.

If you assume a long haul truck averages 50 miles/hour, this converts to ~ 8000
hours of running. Given that the marine environment is more severe than the
open road,getting close to 8000 hours on a marine diesel means a lot of years
have passed!

Besides, the technology advances in the years it would take for a marine diesel
to reach 8000 hours would likely make it difficult to find parts and rebuild it
and make the rebuild cost close to the buy new cost.

Charlie Nelson
1995 C&C 36 XL/kcb (replaced original Yanmar with new Beta 28 rather than
rebuild after head cracked running with no engine water!)

cenel...@aol.com