Glenn,

Honestly, the only thing I did was wiring -- a few were loose so I stripped,
cleaned and made better connections.

That's when the lights came on and the plate started getting cold. The temp in
the chest dropped 5 degrees in a half hour -- which leads me to believe the
compressor works.

The control, however, has a dial that won't turn, stuck on the highest setting,
7. (Personally, I prefer my knobs go to 11 -- and extra points to anyone who
gets that reference.)

If it's really working again, I may just leave everything as-is instead of
shelling out big bucks for a new controller for a 27 year-old fridge.

In your case, to test it, look at the wiring diagram and see if you can skip
the controller and apply power directly to the compressor. One manual I found
talked about a jumper wire.

Hope you get cool results. Good luck.

All the best,

Edd