From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Charlie
Nelson via CnC-List
Sent: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 5:11 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: cenel...@aol.com
Subject: Re: Stus-List Toe rail leak

Good luck with any 'spot' repairs.

The yard just fixed a collision based leak of longstanding on my starboard bow
quarter hull-deck joint and had to remove the bolts back to about mid-ship to
get enough separation to reach the joint. This was about 6-8 times the

length of the leaking portion of the joint. On my boat, the toe rail is held on
by the same bolts that hold the deck onto the hull.

Of course if its just the toe-rail (unlikely IMHO), removal doesn't require
getting to and fixing any leaks at the hull-deck joint--but the bolts have to
come off/be loosened either way.

If the rail was laid up with butyl, you may be able to squeeze it down by
tightening only--but you must not allow the bolt to turn, only the nut, since
the butyl seal depends on even pressure and turning

the bolt may cause the butyl to separate.

In any case, you are looking at a 2 person job of many hours, assuming the nuts
are all accessible without dismantling part of the inside of the cabin.

Also remember if you replace the butyl, tighten it up at least twice with a day
or so between to allow the butyl to well set during the 2nd tightening. As the
butyl 'oozes' out of the joint with pressure, the joint may become

physically loose again or at least it will not be as tight as it was after the
first tightening.

FWIW

Charlie Nelson

Water Phantom