Hi Kevin

Sorry to see this situation but as with most things boat, all it takes is money
to fix things.  Obviously some water got into the stub recess and corroded the
stub itself.  Pretty impressive to cause the stud to crack apart.  FWIW, we
consider the baby stay an integral part of the rig and its integrity as it
prevents the mast pumping – with the added benefit of helping to shape the
mainsail.

Not 100% sure, but it would make structural sense the stud is threaded into the
keel itself.  Otherwise the upward pull would be like trying to separate the
keel from the hull stub.  I do know the keel sump is about 3 inches thick at
its forward edge.  Some careful measurements both inside and outside might be
in order.  I will check our 34 dimensions when next there in a week or so.  In
any event, it looks like a job best handled on the hard – remove the remaining
stud, rethread the hole and reattach a new stud.  Seal appropriately.

Best

John and Maryann

Legacy III

1982 C&C 34 (hull 464)