Under “other solutions,” I use a Spartite plug at the partners which, in
addition to holding the mast in place, also keeps water out.

From: Bruce Whitmore via CnC-List
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2017 2:25 PM
To: C&C List
Cc: Bruce Whitmore
Subject: Stus-List Mast Boot Tape

Hello all,

I was wondering if some of you may have some insights regarding mast boot tape.
 We have had a slight leak around the base of the mast since we bought the boat
in February.  I pulled off a mass of old tape which was peeling anyway, and
applied Rubbaweld Mast Boot Tape with somewhat marginal success (it was my
first attempt). In that since I was doing the job single handed, I had to start
by taping the end of the tape to the mast with duct tape to hold it while I
pulled it tight.  I also found it was kind of a pain to have to pull off liner
from the tape surface simultaneously while pulling on the tape hard enough to
activate the adhesive and get it to bind.  It was also pretty difficult to get
a good span from the base of the mast deck entrance to the mast itself, and I
had difficulty getting the tape to fuse into a nice tight end.  In the end, the
stuff appears to be about the same as what came off, which looked perpetually
dirty.

I understand this is mostly an issue of user error, but It seems to me there
must be a better solution.

For example, anyone ever try white shrinkwrap tape?  It would seem ideal -
waterproof, sticks to boat hulls well, doesn't leave sticky residue, is UV
resistant, and would stay much cleaner.

Any other solutions?

Bruce Whitmore

(847) 404-5092 (mobile)