Bill’s cheater main is definitely roachy (just kidding, Bill).

From: Bill Coleman via CnC-List
Sent: Friday, February 09, 2018 2:21 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Bill Coleman
Subject: Re: Stus-List Sail Changeover for 29 Mk1

I think the biggest bang for the buck is a full roach main.

Shortly after buying the boat, I got mad at the boom and bought a new extrusion
from Charleston, they sell in 2 foot increments. I was telling a friend (who
also had a 39, and was an NA Intern at C&C in the early 70’s) what I was doing,
and he said, don’t bother cutting that extra foot off, just leave it 14’, it
will sail better”  So I did, and with a full roach, it was a game changer. PHRF
nicked me 6 seconds, but it was well worth it. When the wind pipes up 18 – 20
and over, I just drop the main and sail with the 140 Genoa.  Only (very slight
drawback), is the 140 had to be a little heavy to do this.

Oh yeah, one other thing, in very light air you have to *help* the main across
the backstay.

Bill Coleman

C&C 39 Erie, PA