No need to disassemble the top or bottom of the pedestal..Read the directions
below unless you enjoy making extra work for yourself.  Yes you need to take
off the compass.  And you may need to loosen the steering cables enough to buy
yourself some space to take the chain off the sprocket. (make sure to mark the
sprocket and chain to properly re-install). Doing so will help you guide the
cable clamp past the sprocket.  But read the directions first before to unbolt
ANYTHING.

If you want a rule of thumb on cable length, the height of the pedestal is
roughly 3 ft (28” from deck to wheel shaft).  Estimate the distance from the
pedestal to the companionway, add 4 ft and there you are.  If the cable needs
to route around the engine to get the proper directional orientation for the
shift, add 2 ft.  Most C&C yachts under 40’ use a 10’ or 12’ cable (series 33
Morse for shift and throttle with diesel engines, series 64 for the shift with
Atomic 4 with a Paragon transmission.

http://www.edsonmarine.com/support/PDFs/installation/EB396EngineControlInstr.PDF

If you need to guide the cables through the idler, attach a messenger line
around the engine cable end when your lift it out of the pedestal (both cables
come up at the same time due to the cable clamp that secures them to the
pedestal).  Good advice to replace both cables at the same time.

Chuck Gilchrest

S/V Half Magic

1983 35 Landfall

Padanaram, MA