From: Josh Muckley via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
To: C&C List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Josh Muckley <muckl...@gmail.com>
Sent: Fri, Feb 23, 2018 12:59 pm
Subject: Re: Stus-List Backing plate decision

Sometimes the OEM plans the hardware installation and embeds backing plates or
simply solid fiberglass of the appropriate thickness.  A backer is used to
prevent crushing the core and to support lateral loads.  Solid fiberglass won't
crush and a sufficiently large washer nut bolts at the appropriate torque will
maximize lateral support as long as the foundation is solid and not flexing.
All questions which cannot be answered without on site evaluation.

Consider using FRP board in 1/4" or 1/2" available from McMaster-Carr or G10
board available from marine stores.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+