There is a 4th issue too for wet cell batteries.

While AGMs and Gels have more options for orienting the batteries in your box,
wet cell battery orientation matters in sailboats.  One should orient the
batteries artwartship (i.e. the long end of the battery turned beam to beam) as
apposed to parallel to the boats centerline.  You will kill your batteries much
sooner while healing if your wet cell batteries are along the centerline.  This
is because the wet cells that make up the battery are longer along the battery
width and short along the battery length, so a heeled battery has more exposed
lead plates if its along the centerline. It's like running your batteries low
on water.

-
Paul E.
1981 C&C 38 Landfall