IMO, solar fans in the hatch are preferred to any in the deck.  The deck is
potentially structural and at least creates an additional path for water
ingress, wet core, rot...

You can install a solar vent fan in the hatch pretty simply by making off a
hole and cutting out with a scroll saw.  Keep just slightly inside of the
line and then use a sanding drum and drill to do the final friction fit and
edge dressing.  No need to remove the hatch or the lens.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD