Dennis, et al;

Having installed both the Day/Night model N20703 (last fall) and N20803 (just
last week) on Imzadi, I have a couple of observations.

I’ve replaced my dorade boxes with these fans. The Day/Night Plus N20703 was a
pretty simple installation. The main difficulty was enlarging the 3” diameter
hole in the deck to fit the larger diameter of the fan. The mounting plate
screws to the deck, and the fan itself screws to the mounting plate. So it is a
pretty  robust installation. There is a trim ring included for installation
inside the headliner, but I just enlarged the hole in the white Lexan panels
that covered where my dorades came through the ceiling. (BTW, you refer to the
Day/Night Plus as the “new” Nicro. They’ve actually been available for a couple
of years snow.)

The new N20803 fan is larger in diameter overall, stands higher off the deck,
and needs a significantly larger hole through the deck. Installation was,
consequentially, much more difficult. Installation is by a trim ring that the
fan screws into with an O-ring seal between the upper trim ring and the fan
(there are two neoprene seals between the fan and the deck), and a lower trim
ring that screws onto the output of the fan and is supposed to snug up to the
headliner. The minimum spacing of the two rings is 3”, and the deck/headliner
of my 38 above the head is only 2” thick, so I had to modify both trim rings to
get them to screw into place.

The light on the N20803 is a nice feature, and the access to the battery is
easier if it needs replacing. And you can switch from intake to exhaust by
flipping a small switch on the light housing rather than changing the fan
blades. The assembly  seems pretty  robust. I suspect that you are correct
about sheets hanging up on the fan, but my fans are between the “islands” on
the cabin top for mounting winches and cleats, so that is probably not a real
problem for me… certainly they are a lot less likely to capture sheets than the
old dorade boxes and cowl vents.

Unfortunately, the housing that holds the lights and switches seem to have cut
down on the amount of air being moved. My two fans are about 3 feet apart, and
the Day/Night Plus N20703 is moving noticeably more air.

Also unfortunately, while the Day/Night Plus N20703 and 4 are in the on-line
Marineco listing of vent fans, they are no longer in the Marineco catalog. And
West Marine told me they are being replaced by the N20803 and 4.

In hindsight, I wish I had done a little more research and bought a second
Day/Night Plus fan from Amazon.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC