Been there, did that.

First and foremost, try to establish the original elevation of the mast
step support and measure it against a known reference  You will need to
rebuild to that elevation.

I did not enlarge the bilge opening.  I cut, scraped and otherwise removed
all the old wood back to the shoulders of the bilge (where the hull turns
downward.)  An air chisel might help.

Touche's mast step was rebuilt with solid glass in 2000.  Here's how (with
improvements to the method due to hindsight).

Sand the shoulders of the bilge to expose "virgin" glass.  Place a piece of
PVC pipe in the bilge to act as a conduit for cables, etc.  Make sure there
is drainage under the pipe from the forward part of the boat.

Make a forward and aft wall forms from cardboard, plastic, whatever.
Smooth the bottom of the area (between the wall forms and above the PVC
pipe with 3M Premium Filler or similar.

Lay in layers of epoxy saturated roving until very close to the desired
elevation.  Can only put 2-4 layers at a time.  More than that will result
in inadequate heat rejection as the epoxy cures.  Smooth the top of the
layup with more putty.

Fasten the step box to the block of glass.

Pictures of the final product here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_sb5TfIENvsb3phTUV4S3lkQ00

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83