My CC 35 II (1974) also has a manual (Whale) bilge pump in the cockpit, and I
notice that sometimes I have to pump very hard to suck the water from the bilge
up to the pump so it starts pumping.  Presumably there is some leakage of water
past the intake valve with just air in the system - at times it’s a real
nuisance although I very rarely use the manual pump. So perhaps an electric
pump in the bilge in series with the manual pump located quite a lot higher in
the cockpit would be good for priming the manual pump, which would then not
require the battery to keep pumping.  In Cats Paw, that is not the arrangement:
two separate pump lines going to two separate thru-hulls.  But after reading
this on-going discussion, I wonder if maybe some owners have implemented that
arrangement.  It is comforting to know that it’s possible to go on pumping even
if the battery has run down.

Eric Frank
Cat's Paw
C&C 35 Mk II