Well, gee.  I just got my "courtesy" renewal notice from "Maritime
Documentation Center".  I promptly emailed them an "official notice of
shame".  :)

For those who are new the list a while and haven't seen our derision at
these folks, let me elaborate.  The "Maritime Documentation Center" is NOT
the US Coast Guard's Vessel Documentation Center (VDC).  It is a third
party entity who will gladly charge you three times the fee of the VDC for
doing what you can do on the VDC's website in under 5 minutes.  It's not
illegal, just irritating.

They simply send you an official looking courtesy notice for renewal.  It
may show up slightly before the USCG VDC's real renewal notice.

Do not be fooled.  The VDC fee for renewal is $26.  Pay no more.  The
official VDC website is here:

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organization/Deputy-for-Operations-Policy-and-Capabilities-DCO-D/National-Vessel-Documentation-Center/

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83