Dennis,
Your guy sounds better than the offer I got from Chesapeake Rigging. They
wanted $800 to do the seals and said the cylinder may be worn and may cost even
more money.

You remind me I need to place a sun shield on my ram seal also.
I was thinking of using a hole saw to cut a wafer out of 3/8 PVC foamboard and
slip that down onto the rod.
A stainless fender washer might work better if you can get the hole close to
the -10 rod diameter. Or a combination of the two.
Third idea: sacrificial O-ring on the rod above the seal.