I use our board virtually every time we go out, and this is due to the fact
that western Florida is so shallow that there's no way I can get to my slip
with the board down except maybe at a high tide.  Certainly, it MUST be up when
were in the slip, as low-low tides will cause the boat to touch bottom even
with the board up.
And, when daysailing, the light air down here tends to make me want to point
relatively high, as our C&C 37/40+ gets the most speed in light air when were
sailing almost on the nock, and we've found that having the board down
substantively reduces the rocking of the boat when large fishing boats go
speeding past us to get to deeper water (which happens a lot as we get close to
John's Pass).
I've not had the boat out of the water other than the initial survey (I've
owned the boat about 16 months and the bottom is not yet ready for repainting).
 I'm curious about pulling the plate to check out the centerboard cable.  I
understand I may not see much, but of course if I found a broken strand or two
in the wire, I'd put replacing the cable on the "emergency' list.
For those of you who know this boat, is there any downside to trying to pull
the plate?  Can it be done in the water?

Sorry, I just can't envision it in my head at the moment...
Thanks!
 Bruce Whitmore
1994 C&C 37/40+ "Astralis"Madeira Beach, FL
(847) 404-5092 (mobile)
bwhitm...@sbcglobal.net