      From: Josh Muckley via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
 To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Josh Muckley <muckl...@gmail.com>
 Sent: Monday, July 9, 2018 10:33 PM
 Subject: Re: Stus-List Engine mounts

Tom,
The original Yanmar mounts have a fatal flaw in that if the rubber degrades it
can tear and leave the engine un mounted.  Some race regulations actually
require wire or chain ties to restrain the top and bottom parts should the
rubber fail.  PYI makes a replacement mount which is positively captured so
that even if the rubber breaks down the mount can't separate.  The leading
cause of the rubber to fail is fuel saturation.  The PYI mounts are designed
with a metal shroud to shield the rubber.
I ran into Yanmar mounts that were soft enough that the thrust of the prop
drove the engine forward.  There was enough movement that it opened up the
dripless shaft seal.  Granted the seal was old and needed tightened or replaced
but it was still quite telling to see the fountain of water.  I would guess
that the engine was shifting about 1/2".  PYI calls the Yanmar mounts
"marshmallow mounts" and they are designed as such to minimize noise and
vibration.  I can't sat that I'm upset by the noise and vibration of the PYI
mounts.
Josh Muckley S/V Sea Hawk 1989 C&C 37+Solomons, MD

On Mon, Jul 9, 2018, 8:49 PM Tom Buscaglia via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>