C&C 35 to the big cat was like going from a Ferrari to a dump truck, but the
dump truck was faster. Usually we were going 9-12 knots.
Joe
Coquina

From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Dennis C.
via CnC-List
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 3:35 PM
To: CnClist <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Dennis C. <capt...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List [EXTERNAL] Re: Hydraulic auto-pilot > Rack and Pinion
Steering

Spent a week cruising on a Beneteau 47.  Like driving a bus or a big RV.  On
the other hand, having a private stateroom with dedicated air conditioning and
head was nice.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 9:33 AM, Della Barba, Joe via CnC-List
Say cable is 10, rack and pinion is 8, and hydraulic is 1 on the feel scale.
The sailors with hydraulic liked it that I dealt with because they almost never
steered by hand. A 3,000 mile trip was probably 100 miles of hand steering and
2900 Otto.
I really don’t like it because you need to look at the rudder angle to trim
sails, you have no feel at all for weather or lee helm. We got to where every
time the rudder went past 20 degrees we reefed the jib on our charter cat.
Joe
Coquina