Bill,

A couple of suggestions made on another sailing list:

Use 600 wet sandpaper with a sponge block to carefully remove old lettering.
Then 800 wet sandpaper & compound with a polisher to restore the finish.

Or:

Easy Off Oven cleaner was used to remove painted name and hailing port from our
transom. There was a shadow remaining from 'sun bleach' vs shaded that has
since been decreased with subsequent surface polishing.

Have not tried either.  My boat had vinyl lettering on both quarters and the
transom when I bought her and I removed it all with a hair drier and a plastic
putty knife.

Good luck.

Brian