From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Nathan Post
via CnC-List
Sent: Saturday, July 28, 2018 2:08 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Nathan Post
Subject: Stus-List Wisper has launched!

Hi All,

We finally have Wisper - our 1981 C&C 34 CB we purchased in May in the water!
Excited to take her for a first sail tomorrow from Scituate up to Lynn MA where
we will be keeping her this season.  She was left on the hard by previously
owner for two years so lots of cleaning and lots of projects completed, and of
course still more to do.  A few highlights on where we are at:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback previously on the rudder - after drilling
holes and draining I determined that it was definitely still solid and that the
best thing to do was leave it as is - sealed up the holes with Thixo epoxy and
then some barrier coat.  This fall when she is pulled I think I’ll install a
couple of plugs to make draining easier in the future since keeping the water
out doesn’t sound like a realistic possibility in the long run.

Refinished the cabin sole, replaced the removing ceiling panels with 3/16”
Starboard.  Had the sails cleaned and mended.  Replaced the glow plug solenoid
which had partially failed - the glow plugs were still getting power, but the
electric fuel pump which it also runs was not.  Replaced the waste hoses and
rebuilt the head.

I have also been following the bilge pump discussion and decided to install a
primary 3.5 gal/min Whale diagram pump with a large low profile screen inlet
and WaterWitch in addition to the rule 1500 with rule float switch and the hand
pump.

Had New England Propeller rebuild the folding 2 blade prop at their strong
recommendation to reduce slop and make the blade angles symmetric again - it
took Ron a longer than I had hoped to complete it and was the main delay in
getting launched the last few weeks, but it came out really nice so I think it
was well worth doing.  Put the shaft back in with a new PSS shaft seal and new
spit coupling (fit and faced by New England Prop as well) and everything went
together smoothly.

We seem to have a very slow leak at or around one of the through hulls (the
waste exit which we likely will not be using at all since we will be staying
close to shore for now and getting pump outs), even after tightening the valve
as much as I dared.  Probably only about a teaspoon or so an hour but if I dry
the area off around it, it will get wet again.  Any suggestions?  Thinking of
just leaving it that way for this season until we pull her for the fall.

Still to be done: look into the propane system and getting that working again -
probably need a new solenoid but I haven’t looked into that yet.  Connect the
new hot water heater.  Replace the faucets  in the head and galley, add a
shower gray water pump, rig a new vang (the boat didn’t come with one), and
perhaps have a dogger and bimini built for her.  Plus lots of little
maintenance, teak refinishing, etc.

Looking to get some new propane tanks (11 lb tall version) as the ones she came
with were very rusty.  Does anyone make a stainless steel version?  I might go
aluminum I suppose if I can find one the right size and shape.

It would be fun to make it to the north east coast rendezvous at some point,
but unfortunately we already have plans for that weekend this year and aren’t
set up for cruising that far quite yet.  Maybe next year!

Nathan Post
S/V Whisper
1981 C&C 34
Lynn, MA