Thanks guys,

I still haven't decided if it's any use to attempt the dual use the VHF
radios as "marriage savers" type walkie talkies. Off Shore on the lowest
power setting on un-monitored channels like 68 we're probably fine, however
if anchoring/mooring we'll be near enough to shore stations that we might
get picked up. Transmissions like "reverse, and a little throttle" is
probably abusing the VHF airspace and interfering with other activity.

I think bluetooth earpieces make more sense- also are smaller and cheaper.

Dan