Kevin,

I wouldn’t consider POP Yachts as a scam but as an internet based brokerage
that covers the entire country, they’re going to have limitations.  I speak
from experience having bought Half Magic, my 1983 35 Landfall through them.
Bottom line, they had what I was looking for.    I first made contact in the
spring several years ago when I first saw the boat listed.  At the time, there
were very few Landfall 35 for sale on Yacht World and none in New England so
when I saw this one online in my  general region with a comparable price to
other’s around the US and Canada, I went to look at it.  POP Yachts’ broker was
local in Gloucester and she came to show the boat on the owner’s property north
of Boston.  Being a powerboater, she had limited knowledge of the vessel and
certainly couldn’t speak to its overall condition other than to recommend a
thorough survey prior to any purchase.    While interested, I chose to wait and
many months past before I got a follow up from a different broker from POP
Yachts asking if I was still in the market.  At that time, I was in a better
position to buy and went again to see the boat, and the broker they sent to
“re-show” the boat was a sailboater from New Hampshire.  His knowledge of
specific issues with the boat was slightly better, but again, suggested a
survey.  After deliberation, I made a VERY low offer on the boat, mostly
because it had been sitting on the hard for several years and assumed the owner
would be somewhat desperate to sell.  As it turned out, he wasn’t.  And the
primary reason he was rather married to his price was that he had originally
listed the boat with POP Yachts at a VERY inflated price and over time had
whittled the selling price to what he considered to be a rock bottom price.  In
a private conversation, the seller felt that I should walk away from the deal
and then contact him directly after he “fired” POP Yachts and would negotiate a
price that would be amicable to both of us.   While intrigued at the prospect
of buying the boat at a cheaper price, I had problems with doing an end around
on a broker that had, up to that point, been up front with me and had taken the
time to show the boat twice.  It just wasn’t ethical in my mind and  it may
very well have held up the sale if the seller had violated the terms of his
contract with POP Yachts.

So, once I made my offer, the regional broker didn’t handle a lot of back and
forth between me and the seller although he was present at the survey.  Most
negotiations were conducted by phone through another POP Yachts agent, this
time in North Carolina.  I would say that the negotiator did a good job of
softening the seller enough for a deal to be made, but was patient and listened
to all my concerns.  He was good..

Once we made a deal, got the survey done and addressed the costs associated
with fixing what the survey revealed, the paperwork, contract, Coast Guard
documents and every detail was completed by POP Yachts and for what its worth,
made the purchase process somewhat easy.

Now whether the seller considered his experience with POP Yachts as a good
investment, I can’t tell.  He didn’t seem thrilled to be paying a commission
for their efforts and the boat sat on the market for quite a while.  Then
again, it was far from being in “sail away” condition and not everyone wants to
invest the time and money in a 35 year old sail boat to make it serviceable.  I
suspect that if the boat had been a mid nineties Boston Whaler 23 Outrage with
a 4 stroke Yamaha, POP Yachts might have been the answer to a quick sale and
pulled in a more qualified customer than say Craigslist or Ebay who are looking
for a free boat or something they can virtually steal for a few thousand.  Talk
to a brick and mortar broker sometime and they’ll tell you, the 25 year old
sailboats, maintained by their owners are just not a hot item.  And posting an
ad on Yachtworld isn’t cheap by any means.

Caveat emptor, right?

Chuck Gilchrest

Half Magic

1983 35 Landfall