Hi Roger,

The ’82 C&C 25 you are looking at would be a Mk2 model.

They have a different deck, keel and cabin layout than the Mk1s.

The deck is cored but not the hull, check for stress cracks around deck
fittings and where the cabin doghouse meets the deck and for
delamination/rotten core around the chainplates and the cockpit floor.

Take a small hammer or screwdriver handle and tap around the foredeck, side
decks, cabin top and cockpit floor for signs of delamination, you don’t need to
tap very hard.

The sound will be a nice sharp sound if it is good or a dull thud if it’s
delaminated.

In the cabin, check for evidence of past water leaks or rot on the main
bulkheads, especially around the chainplates and the beam under the mast step.

With the saildrives you either love them or hate them, my dad had one in his 25
Mk2 and loved it.

I think they used a Honda engine on them so a rebuild or replacement shouldn’t
be too costly if the lower drive is in good shape.

If you decide to put on an outboard make sure you get an extra long shaft model
and a good mount.

The 25s tend to hobby horse under power in waves so you need the prop down as
far as you can get it.

I had a 9.9 XL shaft on my 25 Mk1 and never had a problem with the prop coming
out of the water on Lake Ontario or in Halifax.

You will need to glass in a plywood backing plate inside the transom to support
the mount too.

It being a fresh water boat means it won’t have the corrosion problems of a
salt water boat but you will still need to check the mast and rigging for
cracks and wear.

Good Luck

Rick Taillieu

Boatless