Hi Randy,

I offered for you to get back to me on #2 if you weren't proceeding with #3.

So here it is, practical repair strategy 2:
- flatten mast area under spreader base(s) with flap sander, hand file or belt sander - make two (2) pieces aluminum plate 1/4" thick slightly larger area than spreader base - drill hole in each plate same size as stout bolt and alignment as per spreader base - glue each plate to mast, using stout bolt as alignment tool, using something like "Devcon" metal repair as to secure the plates and even out the "hollowing damage" and enough to fill old holes
- drill & tap new screw holes in new plate to match spreader base
- reinstall spreader bases

Tips:
- Don't worry. Be Happy
- The spreader base deformation likely happened during fabrication. It looks typical of stainless steel "pulling" in high heat situations
- You are correct in assuming the stout bolt does almost all the work
- I might throw a couple of rivets into the new plate to feel better... just don't put 3 holes the same size in a row close together (including the screws) as that can propagate into a crack a few years down the road.

        Cheers, Russ
        ex-Sweet 35 mk-1