https://thumb7.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/1033249/363411947/stock-vector-electricity-from-lemon-battery-363411947.jpg

Nothing happens without the wire ;)

From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Della Barba,
Joe via CnC-List
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2018 8:19 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Della Barba, Joe <joe.della.ba...@ssa.gov>
Subject: Re: Stus-List [EXTERNAL] Re: Prop shaft zincs, bonding and corrosion

A couple of points:

1.       A zinc only protects things it is electrically connected to. This
means it does protect the shaft and prop for sure. The engine and anything
wired to the engine – maybe. If you think about it, there should be no such
thing as metal to metal contact between a rotating shaft and a stationary
engine. Everything that turns passes through bearings and seals, so the
electrical connection more or less depends on the oil settling with the engine
off and the crankshaft resting on a bearing. This is why commercial vessels
have a carbon brush arrangement or other ways to connect to the shaft.

2.       Measuring voltage between things can be confusing.  Any two metals
that are not the same alloy in salt(ish) water make a battery *if connected*.
So if you have a bronze thu-hull and a stainless shaft, you will see voltage
between them. If they are connected electrically, one will corrode. This is why
they both would also need to be connected to a zinc so the zinc is what
corrodes. Absent wiring between them, they should both just sit there, there is
no current path. If two metals are connected by a bonding wire, you would end
up measuring 0 volts between them. That is NOT good, that means the bonding
wire is carrying the current and one of those two metals is corroding. Only
good outcome is if one of the two is a zinc.

3.       The two choices are isolate everything, which is what I do, or connect
everything and make sure it is all wired to a zinc. The prop shaft zinc is
marginal for this job at best. Standard big powerboat setup is bonding wires
everywhere and a big hull zinc besides for the prop shaft zincs.

4.       Connecting to shore power absent isolation now connects you to all
kinds of underwater metal. The very best outcome is you eat up your neighbor’s
zincs, but probably the reverse is what really happens, never mind some wiring
malfunction that sets up current between boats.
Joe
Coquina
C&C 35 MK I