The gap from a 24' to a 27' is much bigger than the gap from a 27' to a 30'. I
looked at several 30-1 before getting my 27MkII and yeah, they are a bit
bigger, but really you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference below (or above
decks) unless you were already familiar with both. As it turns out, I have
never used the 27 for the purpose I bought her for and in many cases quite
regret moving from my C&C24 - the boat is just as easy to handle in most
situations, just more complex: moving from outboard to inboard, porta-potty to
marine head, wiring blah blah. Both sail wonderfully.
I can't really comment on your 26 vs 27 as I am not familiar with the 26, but
the 27MkII is a nice boat to sail, can carry more sail in heavier winds than
the later ones due to more ballast and a slightly shorter mast, but not quite
as good in the light stuff for the same reasons (I've always thought a MkIII
rudder would be a nice modification to the MkII though). Of course the MkI is a
bit stiffer still since the mast is even shorter. Having said that, sounds like
the 27 you are considering needs a fair bit of work, maybe hold out for a nicer
one?
FYI, the 26 appears to be pretty much the most tender boat C&C ever built,
http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/technica/stability.htm<http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/technical/stability.htm>
 (for the 27s I believe that diagram shows the C&C designations where Mk1TM is
what we refer to as the MkII, MkII is what we think of as the MkIII/IV, and
"New 27" is the MkV). Theoretical measurements of course, but it usually
translates fairly well into real world tippyness which can often be a factor
for non-sailing guests/significant others.
Cheers,
Paul.
1974 27' MkII
Sidney, BC

DELLENBAUGH ANGLE - C&C Photo Album & Resource
Center<http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/technical/stability.htm>
This is the angle that the vessel is presumed to heel given a force of 1 pound
per square foot on the sails, assuming they were all sheeted flat amidships.
www.cncphotoalbum.com