Chris,

As a general rule, diesels like to be worked. Keeping them at idle or low-RPM
speeds is not good for them in the long run. I usually only keep the throttle
down when shifting in and out of neutral or if I need to go slow in a channel,
coming into a dock. or picking up a mooring.

All the best,

Edd

Edd M. Schillay
Starship Enterprise