Dennis

To avoid being trapped we have attached a length of shockcord to the back side of the latch so it hangs down into the locker.  It is a straight section going to a loop.  The straight section's end has a small diameter copper pipe that has been crimped flat (using a vice in my workshop) then having holes drilled so matches the cover's latch holes.  The other end forms a loop by crimping. That loop is just long enough to go over the main winch and keep the seat/cover open.

My biggest problem has been with the three hinges in that they have cracked/broken.  It seems that the back edge of the seat/cover was not sealed and and the core compressed allowing shear across the face of the hinge.  All have been replaced which is a two man job, one inside with a nut driver trying to not loose the nuts/washers to the bilge god and the other topside doing the screwing.

Don Kern
Fireball 35-2, 12708
Bristol, RI