Hi Dennis,

I will guess that the sprocket damage is as you surmise, chain stop bolt riding past the limit. Notice chain link gouge in port side housing too when it rode up on the sprocket. I expect it was an single event while backing down and the person lost control of the wheel. There is enough momentum there to put the wheel hard over in a second and cause the damage.

Your intuition is "bang on", reassemble without removing the sprocket. Trying to get that sprocket off the axle is flirting with disaster. Reassemble exactly as before, as the damaged teeth are not in the normally loaded area anyhow.

        Cheers, Russ
        ex - Sweet 35 mk-1