Try putting 2 proper size nuts on the threaded rod. Back them up together
until tight. Then with a wrench on the inside nut, see if you can get
movement on the rod when you apply force to the wrench. The idea behind
this is to use the outer nut as though it is the hex cap on a machine bolt.
If you are able to back out the rod, I have no idea if it will allow you to
drop the rudder.

Ed Levert
C&C 34 Briar Patch
New Orleans