Hi Patrick,

Interesting problem here. Thinking a little outside the box... okay, maybe more than a little.

Anyone given thought to using the autopilot drive to drive the cable instead of the tiller arm? Zero mods required to the existing quadrant assembly.

2 of these in opposition connected by S/S plate(s), which the drive is bolted to, might be feasible if the drive output is less than a ton.

Or a number of these in series all bolted to a plate may work also
https://www.amazon.ca/Amanaote-Stainless-Steel-Standard-Double/dp/B00PVSPUUG?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duc12-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00PVSPUUG

A pessimist would say that the autopilot will becomes useless if the cable system breaks.

And the optimist would counter, "Why would you build a system which you expect to fail?"

        Cheers, Russ
        ex-Sweet 35 mk-1

At 04:21 PM 3/5/2019, you wrote:
Hi Paul,Â
Thanks for the ideas, lots of good ones!

> you wrote > * Edson sells a different radial drive which has a shorter height. Replacing an existing with one of these would be costly but it could free up shaft space for the tiller arm. One needs to check the specs for the shorter radials and see if that option is feasible.  Â

This is one idea Edson engineering suggested to me today actually! Alden got back to me (after speaking with engineering) and has been very helpful. It would be a good deal of work swapping out the radial, and there are some subtle impacts to consider (I can't change the wire track height too much because if it causes steering cable chafe that will require shimming the idlers/sheaves). It also might require extending the rudder stop post.Â

Flipping the existing offset-disc radial upside down doesn't help because it would still consume the same amount of rudder shaft space (nearly all of it, leaving no room for a standard tiller arm).Â

Edson's other idea was to move the existing radial down by 1.75", bringing the concave portion of the disc closer to the rudder stock tube and freeing up enough space for the 1 5/8" tiller arm above the radial. This definitely requires idler/sheave modification though and rudder stop modification. In addition it's a very tight fit to the point where it might not work (1/8" clearance on cockpit floor and aft stern bulkhead).Â

Your 3rd idea is quite interesting, no one has thought of reusing the radial drive hub thrubolts. The hub is contoured and has a ridge, so it would have to be quite a custom part to get a good fit.Â

I've ruled out option B from my original email (Jefa quadrant with integrated tiller arm) because it turns out it too would require idler/sheave adjustments in addition to a custom rudder stop - basically complete steering system redesign.

I'm focusing on option A now, which was to have a machine shop make an "offset tiller arm" or "drop" tiller arm. I discovered the term "offset tiller arm" when I found Buck Algonquin makes them (but not in the right size for our boat, and they're bronze castings so they can't do a custom one - they do 1000+ unit production runs). Â
<https://www.deepblueyachtsupply.com/89112-89000-series-offset-tiller-arm>https://www.deepblueyachtsupply.com/89112-89000-series-offset-tiller-arm

But having a machine shop make my own offset tiller arm seems doable, as long as I can find a machine shop willing to do it.Â

-Patrick