There seem to be two schools of thought about what makes a good passage making
boat.

Traditionalists prefer something big, heavy and slow. So you can carry a lot of
food, water, and spares on long passages, and so you can survive the bad
weather that invariably will catch up with you.

The other view is a preference for something large enough for stores,
well-built enough for safety, and fast enough that (with modern weather
routing) you can sail away from bad weather.

My C&C 38 falls into the second category. When I get around to a couple of
planned projects to add wind and solar, and upgrade the communications, I plan
to go to the Med. I have no desire to sail her across the Atlantic on her own
bottom (For a few grand I can send her to Mallorca on a transport ship, sail
the Med, and come home to the Caribbean with the ARC). But I know of a couple
of 38s and at least one 38LF that have been around the world. So I’m sure she
would handle the Atlantic crossing.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC