Well, I finally finished the servicing and upgrade to Touche's steering
system.  Listers may recall this started in January and was interrupted by
my month long Colorado ski trip.

In summary, to my knowledge, Touche's steering system had never had a major
maintenance session.  I pulled the pedestal, cables, sheaves, etc. for
inspection and lubrication.  That's when I found a poor design issue with
the system.  There were two small bolts installed in the last link on
either side of the chain.  At full turn of the rudder, these bolts
contacted the teeth in the pedestal's sprocket acting as a rudder stop.
Over time, the bolts had a deleterious effect on the sprocket.

I would recommend to owners of earlier 35's, and any other older models
which may have the bolts in the chain, that they inspect the sprocket in
their pedestal.

I also found a broken strand on one of the steering cables.  This break may
also have been related to the design issue.

About halfway through the build run of the 35-1's, C&C radically changed
the rudder stop design by adding a bulkhead aft of the rudder and attaching
two aluminum plates to the quadrant which contacted the bulkhead at full
travel.

I decided to mimic the newer design, eliminating the bolts in the chain.

I can tell you that it is quite a project, not to be taken casually.  I did
document the project fairly well.  The link to the project document is:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=115qLR3c13N2THCRpsOF-7UGGJBweFXfd

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA