Hello all,
So my aftermarket starter died last season and I recently pulled it out
looking to compare for fit to a replacement. The local marina looking for
$275 prompted more searching and many seem available for @ $100 or less w 1
year warranty. I believe Yanmar replacement is over $400, so there is the
quality/price issue if anyone can chime in.
However, I now see as a bigger problem. The starter shows a large piece of
the shield for the pinion gear and shaft missing. This part of the shield
section supports the shaft end and that is completely missing...so no
support of the pinion gear shaft. Although I hadn't looked closely at it
when I removed it, I would have noticed loose pieces.  So if this has
broken off inside the bell housing, pieces may still be there. I am
thinking that I must remove the trans for access to clear any remnants. Any
other ideas? Also, any thoughts about why this happened?
Thanks much,
Tom Oryniak
Carry On
33-1 Raritan Bay