I have a composting toilet in my CS30.

I'm happy with it.  My boat, when I bought it, was still in it's original 1986 configuration with no holding tank.  I was looking into plumbing in a holding tank, but we also have the issue of very few pump out facilities avail in my area.

After some reading I decided to go ahead with it.  3yrs in I went ahead and removed the old thru hulls and had the yard glass them over.

I'll admit mine doesn't get heavy usage, and yes trying to explain the process to guests is not terribly straight forward, but I've found it works well.

It's a urine separating head (separate container for urine) - I'm planning to add a small windshield washer pump that will drain the urine container overboard.  For the fecal matter - I've not actually had to empty mine yet, but it looks and smells like peat moss (my started material) with toilet paper mixed in (the toilet paper is the last thing to break down).  It is a little awkward size wise - designed to sit at ground level - it's rather high sitting on the platform for the marine head (can't lower platform due to hull curvature).

I'd imagine the heavy usage might be different.  But with maybe 2-4 overnights per summer and 12-14 day sails it works for us.

Mark