FWIW, stating what I learned.  The PHRF is a rating based on projected boat
speeds in multiple wind speeds on every angle of the wind.  They use one number
for a typical boat in all wind and sea conditions.  This works OK for triangle
races which provide upwind, reaching, downwind legs and if a season of races
offers low wind and high wind races, the ratings are fair.  My boat excels
upwind and we did well in triangle races jib and main, held our own reaching,
and suffered a little downwind without a spinnaker.

More recently I started racing in distance races and the majority have had a
short leg upwind to allow a clean start, and then a turn downwind for 90% of
the race.  I was racing solo against crewed boats and after a timid start
because I have to keep clear, I'll typically pass four to five boats going the
30 minutes upwind.  Then they pass me with their genekers or spinnakers on the
4 hour downwind course to the finish.  One race turned back upwind at the
finish and I was able to pass a boat on that final leg so I wasn't the last of
60 boats across the line.  I have flown my spinnaker alone, but not during a
race yet.  I'm working on that.

All in all, racing PHRF made us better sailors and I pushed some other skippers
and they got better too so we all benefited.

Chuck S, Resolute, 1990 C&C 34R