Bruce:
Cat’s Paw also has an external strainer, but made of bronze.  We have never had
trouble with it - either during many years in the Chesapeake Bay or for the
last 15 years here in Massachusetts in Buzzards Bay.  We haul every year, and I
scrape off any barnacles etc at that time, often unscrewing the strainer from
the hull to clean out between it and the cooling intake fitting.

Eric Frank
Cat's Paw
C&C 35 Mk II
Mattapoisett, MA