Don Kern
/Fireball /C&C 35 Mk2
Bristol RI

On 6/20/2019 9:47 PM, Pete Shelquist wrote:

I’m curious how many have and use a Jib-Top?  Worth it?

*From:*CnC-List <cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com> *On Behalf Of *Don Kern via CnC-List
*Sent:* Thursday, June 20, 2019 8:17 PM
*To:* cnc-list@cnc-list.com
*Cc:* Don Kern <don-k...@cox.net>
*Subject:* Re: Stus-List Heavy weather sail trim

Ron

Fireball carries four head sails when racing each has a cut and weight appropriate to the apparent wind: light #1 150% (3-12 kts), #2 135% (12-20 kts),  #3 120%(18-28 kts) and  #4 85% (survival). The main has only two reefs, the lower reef points are placed between where a 1st and 2nd reef would normally be and a the upper a little above the position of a normal second reef.  The boat was optimized for SORC racing in the mid 70s by C&C and has a boom 2 ft shorter than normal (11.5 ft vs normal 13.5ft), thus I do not put a reef in until 15+ kts with a #2 flying.  We throw in (literally) the second reef with a #3 when the boat is laying over too far. I find the boat feathers up nicely in heavy air and try to keep the toerail out of the water by easing the main down on the main track in gust.  Always trying adjust the sails to point and keep the boat on its feet (rail out of the water).

Cruising, we use a 138% roller furl and a main with three sets of reef points.

Seems like a lot of sails, but I've had the boat from 1980, so you do get a collection.   However, had to get a new #3 and #4 this year since I destroyed the 20+ yrs old #4 and had the old #3 de-laminate.

Don Kern
/Fireball /C&C 35 Mk2
Bristol RI