OK guys, here is an explanation from my Missile Control days.  What the Tefgel is doing is acting as a "faying surface" sealant.  Big words for describing that the Tefgel is filling in all of the crevices between the actual contact points. Remember that there is no such thing as a smooth surface.  The lug is contacting the post on several high points of the surface and the Tefgel is keeping moisture and contaminants from getting in between.

We used faying surface sealants on most of the joints subject to corrosion on most of the munitions that I was involved with. Sometimes it was loctite sometimes it was poly-imide epoxy primer, sometimes it was just a non silicone surface sealant.

Neil Schiller
1983 C&C 35-3, #028, "Grace"
Whitehall, Michigan
WLYC