I received very helpful feedback from members of this list when inquiring about
the value of a 1981 34 foot C&C. I’m a bit of a luddite when it comes to
managing listserves, so please forgive any repetition on my part.

I live in Nova Scotia and am interested in the above model for sale at my local
marina. I think the asking price is reasonable, and went for a sail last
Sunday. The sails and rigging are in good shape. I have arranged for a survey
to be done next week.

I have 2 major concerns and would appreciate feedback from you folks:

First, I have been reading around the balsa core construction. There are
articles on the web which warn that water can penetrate through the fibreglass
causing the balsa core to be damaged. Does anyone know how likely this is in
this boat and the best way to detect it?
The boat is currently on a slip. Should I wait until the boat is hauled before
having it inspected?

Second, the engine appears to be the original Yanmar 2GM. There appeared to be
a bit of surface corrosion, but the engine bed looked dry. It seemed to run
okay, and I’d like to get it looked at by a diesel mechanic.

My other passion is aviation. I know what would be of concern in a plane
engine: poor compression, high oil consumption, etc.
What would be worrisome features in this marine diesel?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Steve McCarthy