A lot of C&Cs (including my 42 and my prior 34) have the shaft offset just a
bit to cause what you’re describing.  Perhaps Rob can explain why they did that.

From: Dan via CnC-List
Sent: Monday, September 16, 2019 11:20 AM
To: CNC boat owners, cnc-list
Cc: Dan
Subject: Stus-List New Rudder Steering Tugging

Hi all,
So I recently rebuilt my rudder and re-installed it on Breakaweigh.
We took the boat out yesterday and I noticed when under diesel power that the
wheel is lightly tugging to the port side. I'm not entirely sure if it did that
before or if this is a new tugging. If I were to completely let go of the wheel
the boat would automatically start a broad turn to port just like your car is
supposed to always veer to one side to get you off the road (so I've heard)

My question is - is this due to the movement/rotation of water from the prop at
2000 rpm moving water accross the rudder (is this a typical rudder/prop thing?)
OR do I need to adjust the tension in my rudder cables, OR is my rudder very
slightly miss-shapen causing a minor lift" to one side?

When I re-attached the rudder I referenced photos I took of my rudder cables
where they are attached to the quadrant before hand so I could closely match
the threading on each side so that the tensions would be the same as before.
(theoretically)

Thanks everyone,

Dan
Breakaweigh