Well I installed a stainless steel boom bail exactly where i wanted it on
the boom years ago. Works perfect and never slips and is very strong and
doesn’t show any wear. I wanted the main sheet attached to the boom as far
aft as i could have it for least inconvenience and maximum control.

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 2:26 PM Michael Brannon via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> I made a strop with AMSTEEL.  I spliced eyes in each end.   It goes around
> the mast three times.   It stays in place without anything holding it there.
>

> Mike Brannon
> Virginia Lee 93295
> C&C 36 CB
> Virginia Beach, VA
>

> On Sep 23, 2019, at 9:29 PM, Jim Reinardy via CnC-List <
> cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> We were headed out for the last race of the season Saturday and as we
> loaded up the main for the first time, the fitting on the boom that
>  attaches to the main sheet snapped off our 30-2.  This was a single eye
> attached to a plate riveted to the inside of the boom.  I suspect this
> probably just weakened over time and happened to give out at the weld.   It
> was quite windy, but at that point the stresses on the mainsheet weren’t
> out of the ordinary since we were just motoring out of the harbor.  No
> other damage to the boat and no harm to the crew as a result of this, so it
> could have been much worse.
>
> Now the issue is how to find a replacement.  Anyone have an idea if these
> are available off the shelf or have another idea for replacement?  RigRite
> does not recognize it.  I have also contacted Offshore Spars, who I believe
> made the rig originally and helped me out with a boom vang bracket last
> year. RigRite has one that is similar size but with a different hole
> pattern that I probably could make work, but still hoping for a true
> replacement if I can get one.  Thanks for your help!
>
> Jim Reinardy
> C&C 30-2 “Firewater”
> Milwaukee, WI

> --