It is a Left coast boat, thus aliens

On 9/26/2019 11:57 PM, Jim Watts via CnC-List wrote:
Sounds very much like a lightning strike. I assume you'd know if you'd been hit.
Or aliens.

Jim Watts
Paradigm Shift
C&C 35 Mk III
Victoria, BC

On Thu, 26 Sep 2019 at 14:16, John Irvin via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com <mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>> wrote:

    Any UFO’s in the area?

    Sent from my iPhone

    > On Sep 26, 2019, at 3:26 PM, Ian Matthew via CnC-List
    <cnc-list@cnc-list.com <mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>> wrote:

    > I have been following the list for many years and I enjoy
    reading the wisdom of this group.  I have an interesting problem
    and seek your advice.

    > I have an very intermittent electrical problem (in fact it has
    only happened twice in the last 7 years.  In both cases it has
    resulted in electrical / electronic components becoming 'blown
    out' with all fuses inline remaining good.

    > The first time I suddenly lost my AM/FM radio and ALL my
    navigation lights. The engine also stopped as I had no power to
    drive the electric fuel pump. This happened when motoring back
    home at night after a long race.  Fortunately there was wind and a
    hand-held VHF and a powerful spotlight on the sails allowed us to
    be seen by commercial traffic.  Afterwards, I checked - ALL the
    incandescent bulbs that were on had blown, but the fuses were OK.
    The radio had internal circuit board components blown but again
    the inline fuses (there are 2) were OK.  In the case of the fuel
    pump, this had to be replaced.
    > Thinking this may have been a spike from the alternator, I
    replaced the alternator.

    > Last week (3 years later), motoring back in the dark I had a
    similar problem, but this time only my VHF radio 'blew'.  Again
    the inline fuse was good.  The navigation lights have been
    replaced with LED lights and the AM/FM radio was off.

    > I often motor after long races and this has only happened twice!
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas as to what may have caused this.  I
    am an engineer so can diagnose most things but this has baffled me.

    > I am about to upgrade my VHF radio for one with DSC and internal
    GPS and to add some wind instruments.  (I have a Raymarine
    knotmeter/depth meter combined, and a EV-100 autopilot.)  I want
    to separate my electronics electrical input and have considered
    putting them on an isolated battery, but charging is a problem.
    Is there some circuit protector I can put in place to stop this
    happening again?

    > All suggestions welcomed.
    >
    > BTW - for those of you with 29 mk 1's - you can race them
    competitively in strong winds (as is usual on San Francisco Bay) -
    keep the boat flat and have a really good crew!

    > --
    > Ian Matthew
    > "Siento el Viento"  C&C 29-1
    > San Francisco Bay
    >
    > Thanks everyone for supporting this list with your
    contributions.  Each and every one is greatly appreciated.  If you
    want to support the list - use PayPal to send contribution --