Hi,

I would start simple.  What you describe (i.e. the back pressure and recurring
stink) sound like one but possible two problems.  I would first check the
holding tank vent line.  A blocked vent line will lead to back pressure in the
holding tank and little to no oxygen diffusing into the holding tank to promote
aerobic decomposition.  Without oxygen, the smelly anaerobic bacteria take
over.   Sea water stink is another problem caused by anaerobic decay of organic
matter in sea water and while it has nothing to do with fecal matter, it can
smell just as horrible.  The later problem is more notable in the summer
months, but is easy to fix by teeing the head inlet to the sink drain.  When
the seacock is open the sink drains and the head inlet uses sea water to flush.
 When you leave the boat for an extended period, close the sink seacock (a good
think to do) and run some fresh water into the sink, pumping the head to flush
the fresh water through the inlet line.  It is amazing how much of an impact
this has.    As for the tank, some suggest adding a large vent hose, but one
can simple add an active ventilation system rather cheaply (or install the
equivalent but costly Sweet Tank system from Groco).

Here are links to my write ups on removing sea water stink and on installing a
simple and effective active ventilation system using less that $25 worth of
aquarium parts.

sea water stink
http://svjohannarose.blogspot.com/2018/08/getting-fresh-water-into-head.html
<http://svjohannarose.blogspot.com/2018/08/getting-fresh-water-into-head.html>

active ventilation
http://svjohannarose.blogspot.com/search/label/ActiveVentHoldingTank
<http://svjohannarose.blogspot.com/search/label/ActiveVentHoldingTank>

At the very least, check the vent line and seriously consider using a sink tee
inlet.   Hoses do need to be replaced especially if your hoses were crap to
begin with.  My old C&C 29 came with a bit of a funky smell which turned out to
be coming from a section of cheap clear vinyl hose used to go from a Y-valve to
the holding tank.  I good hose is expensive but worth it.  I prefer Trident 101
hose.

-
Paul E.
1981 C&C Landfall 38