Replaced smelly hoses with the spiral pvc type, this lasted 2 yrs before they
were permeated again.  Replaced with the spendy  Italian rubber ones this
season.  Check by smelling the hose itself.

Backflow issue is almost certainly the joker valve.  Best is annual replacement
and check for seal (visually) on new ones.

Check that vent is clear.

My pump occasionally pressurizes and this is a result of the dry/wet valve not
functioning correctly- try holding it to one side while pumping.

If I am not concerned with water consumption I flush with the potable water,
which I spray into the bowl with the shower wand.

In winter when the boat is covered I remove the plug from the pump out fitting.
 Fresh air can’t hurt....

Good luck.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone