I had to replace a malfunctioning depth transducer back in the spring.  I started by trying to remove the old transducer but it was more than a little resistant with copious 5200 type sealant around it and 35yrs to harden.  I needed to drill out a larger thru-hull for the new transducer and was trying to figure out the best solution - a wood block in the hole or something similar.

In the end my simplest solution - I just left the existing broken transducer in place and used it to center my drill bit.  Drilled right into it thus removing the old transducer and drilling out the hole for the new one simultaneously.  Not sure how smoothly that would work if you're doing a paddlewheel but the depth transducer was pretty forgiving with some electronics encased in plastic.

Mark

There is no cure for birth and death save to enjoy the interval.
  - George Santayana