Josh,
   I don't have my PSS manual here in Ohio, but basically it is a two part ring
that clamps around the shaft and carries two o rings inside.
It also acts to prevent shaft from going out the back of the boat if the shaft
coupler let's go.
I have never actually used the replacement o rings, but did re install it
several years ago when replaced my shaft and coupler.
Bill
On Wednesday, December 11, 2019 Josh Muckley via CnC-List